Five Questions to Ask a Home Builder
If you’re planning to build or buy a new home, your research won’t be complete without a face-to-face or telephone interview with the builder.
Checking out the builder is one of your most important research tasks as the quality and performance of your new home will directly affect your comfort, safety and financial investment.
Five questions to ask:
1) Is the builder licensed by the provincial government’s Homeowner Protection Office?
2) How long has the builder been in business?
3) How much experience does the builder have with buildings similar to the one you are considering? Get a list of addresses of similar properties to visit and speak to the current owners if possible.
4) What kind of after-sales service does the builder provide? Ask the builder and former clients.
5) Is the builder a member of an industry organization? This may indicate a commitment to professionalism and industry involvement.
Make sure to augment these questions and answers with your own independent research.
Copyright Homeowner Protection Office. Reprinted with permission.